Wednesday 31 December 2014

The day before the first day of the rest of my life!

Well, this is the day before the first day of the rest of my life!

Dramatic enough for you? Ha! :)

Tomorrow, I take on my first Whole 30. I’m very excited about it! I’m not even freaking out about not being allowed to eat bread or pasta or pizza or cookies or anything like that. I’m actually excited about what I DO get to eat. Delicious wholesome food!

I’ve read It Starts With Food and feel like I understand a bit more why we all need to eat well. It also has easy recipes to follow. I’m looking forward to trying them out. I’ve been mentally preparing myself for almost a month now.

I’m lucky; my mom (who now lives with me since my father passed away) and my 15-year-old daughter have agreed to follow along with me. This means no fighting about meals! Yay!

So two days ago, I cleaned out my pantry. I kept only the allowed food in it. Tomorrow, after my sister and her family leave from their overnight visit, I’ll be cleaning out the refrigerator. My kitchen will be set up for success!

Yesterday I received a meat order from a downtown butcher called Your Corner Butcher. They sell meat from grass fed beef and other naturally farmed animals like chicken and pork. Their bacon is amazing! Today after work, I’m going to get a few veggies. This weekend will be all about preparing condiments, soups, broths, and other dishes that I plan on freezing so that we have no excuse not to follow the program for the 30 days.

Earlier this week, knowing that we will be embarking on this journey, we ordered our last Chinese food meal. It was lovely going in. But immediately after we were done, the three of us felt disgusting! And we all said that we are looking forward to start our Whole 30!

So what am I planning on doing after the 30 days are up? Good question!

I’ll be moving to a paleo diet. I’m done with overly processed foods. I want to be as healthy as possible. I don’t want to live a long UNHEALTHY life. I want to live a long HEALTHY one! I’m 40 years old now. It’s about time I start taking care of myself properly!

What’s wrong with me now? Why do I want and need to change? Well, I’m 40 years old. There’s that. Although all medical tests I’ve had up until now have been good, I know that ailments and illnesses often start manifesting themselves after people reach 40 years old. Other than that: 
  • I’m very overweight. (I’ll be weighing myself tomorrow and will give you the exact number and other measurement stats) 
  • My knees and ankles hurt pretty much all of the time 
  • I get depressed 
  • I don't sleep well 
  • I get shortness of breath 
  • I’m always tired 
  • I have no drive 
  • I sometimes have skin breakouts 
  • I have swollen ankles since I injured myself in my early twenties 
  • I have sinus issues 
Those are the things I’ve noticed so far. Who knows what else I’ll discover by doing this program. Maybe there are other issues that I’m just so used to that I don’t even notice anymore.

Well, I think that will do for my first entry. Wish me courage and strength to get through this. Although I’m VERY excited to start this, I know there will be difficult days to come when I just want to give up. But I can’t! There is too much at stake!

No comments:

Post a Comment